HTX AUGUST NEWSLETTER
Stay cool with the latest in ULR events, hot properties on the market and other Houston happenings here:
BEAUTIFUL MODERN HOME
4 story home with soaring 10 foot ceilings, chef’s kitchen with quartz counters, and a rooftop deck perfect for grilling and entertaining! Hardwood flooring, spacious closets and exposed beams. Close to the Medical Center, Downtown, as well as the brand new museums in Museum District and Midtown. Walk to the Light Rail for easy access to NRG or Downtown.
For more information click here!
1. 29TH HOUSTON INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL
In celebration of this 50th Houston Jazz Month Season, the Houston International Jazz Festival (an electrifying weekend affair now in its 29th year) will commemorate the legacy of August Jazz Month. The Saturday concert, “A Night of Jazz, Keys, and Song” at the University of Houston Cullen Performance Hall, shines the spotlight on featured artists, Pianist Alex Bugnon and Songstress Oleta Adams.
- Date: August 3rd
- Location: Cullen Performance Hall | 4300 University Drive
- Time: 8-11pm
- Admission: $55-75
- Website: Here
3. ALL ABOUT THAT BUBBLY
There’s no party like a bubbly party! Enjoy your favorite champagne or prosecco while relaxing at the Houston Zoo’s beautiful Reflection Pool. Activities include a live ice carving show, photo booth fun and the opportunity to see animals up-close! You and your friends can also enjoy giant lawn games including Jenga, Connect Four, Ring Toss, and Cornhole.
- Date: August 15th
- Location: Houston Zoo | 6200 Hermann Park Drive
- Admission: $35, ticket includes 1 free drink
- Website: Here
3. 33RD ANNUAL AIA SANDCASTLE COMPETITION
The AIA SandCastle Competition is a fund-raising event for AIA Houston and ArCH Foundation as well as one of the top five revenue generating events for the City of Galveston. This year over 60 teams have their eyes and shovels set on winning the prestigious Golden Bucket Award. The judging of the sculptures is rated on originality of concept, artistic execution, technical difficulty, carving technique, and utilization of the site. In addition to the Golden Bucket, awards are given in several categories including Best Traditional Sandcastle, Best Houston-centric, Tallest Standing Structure as well as best team t-shirt design, best team signage, best costume, public favorite and new categories to be announced.
- Date: August 24th
- Location: East Beach | 1923 Boddeker Drive
- Time: 10am-5pm
- Admission: Free
- Website: Here
AGENT OF THE MONTH: Kevin Collier
Born and raised in Houston, he has a 10 year extensive background in real estate, with specializing in leasing throughout the Inner Loop, Galleria and West Houston. Whether you need help leasing a loft, condo, apartment, or townhome, Kevin’s got you covered!
For more information on Kevin or to request his services, click here!
STRAWBERRY PANNA COTTA
Is the summer heat getting to you? Here’s a sweet treat to help you cool off!
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Puree the strawberries until very smooth. Push the puree through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds and set aside. Place 6 4-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Add the milk to a medium saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the surface and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, sugar, and pureed strawberries to the gelatin mixture. Heat over high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 135°F. This should take about 2 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl set over ice. Stir frequently until the mixture cools to 50°F, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a large measuring cup or pitcher and distribute evenly among the ramekins. Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap, making sure not to disturb the surface of the cream. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Unmold from ramekins and serve immediately.
You can view the full recipe here.